Sunday, March 3, 2013

Day 6-March 3, 2013

Sunday, March 3, 2013


Today we went to the fitness center at the Hyatt.  They have a well-equipped and very nice center, which actually encourages me to work out.

We had brunch at the Ilima Terrace, a pricy breakfast at $31.00 for one person, but not so bad with the 2 for 1 deal we had. It was very nice to have all the food labelled that was gluten free and the food was of good quality and variety.

After eating we grabbed our stuff and headed out on a "hike" to Mahaulepu Beach.  I wanted to do this walk last time we stayed at the Hyatt but it wasn't going to work with the stroller and the 6 kids we were with at the time.  This walk is east of the Hyatt and goes along the coast and the golf course.  It was a beautiful walk and I loved seeing the rugged coastline.  There were a lot more people than I thought there would be (I guess this is not the secret I thought it was).  One strange thing I noticed while doing this hike-there is quite a bit of sand high on the bluffs.  It seems like you're walking on the beach, but up high.  I wondered how such fine and deep sand could get up so high...









































































































More than halfway to the spot I thought we were going to end up, we discovered an area that had caves and a learning center.  It was called the Makauwahi Cave Trail, and I had never even heard of it.  We had a man who told us about the cave and what they were doing to teach people about its history.  It was a really neat thing to see, especially when we weren’t expecting it.  One note, to get into the cave area, you basically need to crawl through an opening, so not everyone has access to the whole site. 





We made it to Mahaulepu Beach and stayed for awhile before heading back. Another beautiful Kauai beach!





























We rested and then hung out at the pool until the sun was going down.  Before heading back to our room, I stopped at the front desk to ask about whales and ask what I was doing wrong.  He told me it was easiest to see them early and late in the day and to look for their spouting and that you often could see them at their Seaview Terrace.  So, we headed out there for more looking.  Sure enough, within 10 minutes I finally got to see my first whale activity!  I was starting to think that they just didn’t want to show themselves in my presence.  

We had a great dinner at Merriman’s, where we had eaten in 2011 as well.  I of course was limited to what I could eat but we still had a great dinner of ahi for me and mongchong for Tracy.  He said it was the best meal he had ever had.  I also had a great dinner but the mai tai was pretty bad.  Then we had ice cream at Lappert’s.
  






















No comments:

Post a Comment